-The EYE Digest-
The Annual Los Altos Rotary Art Show
Both Dr. Pesner and myself (Dr. Neufeld) are proud to call ourselves active members of the Los Altos Rotary Club. This weekend we will be having our annual Art Show at Lincoln Park on May 21st and 22nd from 10 am to 5:30 pm. The Art Show will have hundreds of local artist showcasing their art for viewing and sale as well as live music, food, and bevarages. The Art Show is LARC’s biggest fundraiser of the year. Look for us and our staff as we work at various booths during the Art Show.
Many of our patients hear that we are members of Rotary, and many others are aware that we take two and a half hours out of each and every Thursday to attend Rotary meetings.
So what is Rotary?
Rotary is a service organization that is active worldwide. Our Los Altos chapter is one of thousands in the US. The mission of Rotary International is to support its member clubs in fulfilling the Object of Rotary by:
- Fostering unity among member clubs;
- Strengthening and expanding Rotary around the world;
- Communicating worldwide the work of Rotary; and
- Providing a system of international administration.
Our club is comprised of individuals and professionals who live and/or work in the Los Altos area. We are involved in a variety of fantastic humanitarian and community service efforts such as:
- Veterans Support Committee
- World Community Service
- Los Altos Rotary AIDS Project
- Mentor Tutor Connection
In addition to these efforts, Rotary has played a major role in ending the worldwide Polio epidemic by providing volunteers and vaccinations to many foreign countries.
At the international level, Rotary is involved in the following:
- Rotary Foundation: Keeps the membership informed of the many activities and programs of Rotary Foundation, and develops financial support for the work of the Foundation through the annual giving campaign.
- World Community Service: Provides leadership in identifying, recommending and establishing projects designed to promote community development and goodwill on a worldwide basis.
- Group Study Exchange: Solicits, screens and nominates candidates for the GSE Team. Makes arrangements for our Clubs role in hosting a visiting GSE Team. Encourages Club and member-supported GSE Team activity in District 5170.
- Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarships: Solicits, screens, and nominates candidates for District 5170 Ambassadorial Scholarships for overseas study.
- Youth Exchange: Screens and selects candidates from local high schools to live abroad and exchange with foreign students who will live here. Assists in arranging local host families for foreign students visiting from abroad.
- General International Service: Assists in the selection and placement of student short and long-term exchanges. Works with RI on house exchanges for Rotarians.
At the local community service level, Rotary is involved in the following:
- Chamber of Commerce: – Acts as communications link between the Club (and its members) and the Los Altos Chamber of Commerce. Encourages Club and member participation in Chamber activities and programs.
- Community Development – Civic Center Project: – Recommends to the Board of Directors improvements that the Club can make, in conjunction with the City, to improve the Garden House as a place to hold meetings and other events.
- Community Picnics: – Organizes and staffs a booth at Los Altos’ and Los Altos Hills’ community picnics to promote LARC and recruit new members.
- Community Roundtable: – Assures appropriate LARC participation. Community Service Agency (CSA): – Acts as a communications link between CSA and Rotary. Advises Rotary when there is a particular need in the community that needs our support.
- Festival of Lights Parade: – Recruits and organizes team of volunteers for LARC participation in the parade. Arranges for Rotary members to gather as a group to enjoy the holiday festivities.
- Green Town – Los Altos – Acts as a communications link between Green Town Los Altos and Rotary. Advises Rotary of Green Town initiatives where Rotary could be involved.
- Holiday Food & Toy Drive: – Collects, sorts and delivers food and toys to CSA, RotaCare and Alta Vista High School for distribution to needy families during the holiday season.
- Los Altos History Museum: – Makes LARC membership aware of local history and museum exhibitions.
- Los Altos Village Association – Acts as a communications link between the Village Association and LARC.
- Nominations and Grants: – (Past President is Chair) Guides the Board of Directors in nominating Club members for various awards, both in Rotary and in the community throughout the year. Helps to choose and submit outside grant applications, such as Community Opportunity Grants from the District.
- Partners for Elder Generations (PEG) – Identifies actions that Rotary can initiate to improve the lives of seniors in the community.
- Public Relations: – Presents timely information to the community and media regarding the purpose, role, activities, and accomplishments of the Los Altos Rotary Club. Updates the LARC brochure. Develops a LARC slide presentation and speakers bureau.
- Relay for Life: – Solicits LARC participation in the community fundraiser for the American Cancer Society.
Rotary constantly and selflessly works to better serve humanity. All Rotarians go about their lives with a service above self mentality and approach every life event with the Four Way Test:
- Is it the TRUTH?
- Is it FAIR to all concerned?
- Will it build GOOD WILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
- Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
Now that you know a little bit more about Rotary and the great thing it does at both the local and international level, please join us at the Art Show! Both our doctors and staff will be happy to see you there. Also, if you have interest in joining the Los Altos Rotary Club, ask one of our doctors for more information.
Info on the Art Show: http://rotaryartshow.com/
Info on Los Altos Rotary Club: http://losaltosrotary.org/
-Dr. Aaron Neufeld